Ever since its early beginnings, YouTube has been a platform where people can share their thoughts and ideas with the world. Comments are an essential part of this process, as they allow viewers to engage with the video creator and other viewers on a more personal level. However, for some reason, YouTube’s default settings hide comments from view. In this article, we will show you how to turn on comments on YouTube so that you can start engaging with others in the community.
Sometimes You Cannot Change YouTube Comment Settings
Before we get into the nitty-gritty of how to turn on comments on YouTube, it’s important to note that there are some cases where you will not be able to change the comment settings. Here are these situations:
- The audience of a channel or video is labeled as made for kids. YouTube comments are permanently deleted 30 days after a channel or video is designated as made for children.
- Your YouTube video is private. You cannot enable comments on private videos.
- You’re viewing YouTube under a supervised account. That means a parent or guardian has used Family Link to set some YouTube restrictions.
How to Turn On Comments on YouTube
Now that we’ve gotten the exceptions out of the way, let’s get into how to turn on comments on YouTube. The process is actually quite simple and can be done in just a few steps.
- First, sign in to YouTube Studio. It’s the little avatar in the top right corner of YouTube.
- From the menu on the left, choose Settings.
- Go to Community, and then select Defaults.
- Choose your default settings. If you have access to the Community tab, pick your preferred settings under “Comments on your channel.”
- If you don’t have the Community tab: Select your new video upload default options under “Comments on your new videos” if you haven’t already done so.
- Click “Save.”
How to Enable Comments for a Single YouTube Video on Your Channel
From your Content page, you may modify the settings for a single video’s comments. With bulk edits, you may change comment settings for many videos at once. Here’s how to do that:
- Sign in to the YouTube Studio app.
- Select Content from the left menu.
- Look for a video’s thumbnail and click it.
- Click Show more.
- Choose your comment settings under Comments and ratings.
- Save your changes.
That’s it. You’ve now learned how to turn on comments on YouTube.
Is Enabling Comments on YouTube a Good Idea?
Now that you know how to turn on comments on YouTube, you might be wondering if it’s actually a good idea to do so. After all, comments can sometimes be negative or even trollish in nature.
There is no easy answer to this question. It really depends on the type of channel or videos that you create. If you make videos that are likely to stir up strong emotions or opinions, then you might want to think twice about enabling comments. On the other hand, if your videos are more lighthearted and fun, then comments can be a great way to engage with your viewers.
In the end, it’s really up to you to decide whether or not you want to enable comments on your videos. Just remember that you can always change your mind later if you decide that allowing comments isn’t for you.
Can You Turn On or Off Comments Multiple Times?
Yes, you can enable and disable comments as many times as you want. Just keep in mind that any changes you make will only apply to new videos that you upload after changing the settings.
If you want to disable comments on all of your existing videos, you will need to go into each video’s advanced settings and change the comment settings individually.
How to Turn On Comments on YouTube: Summary
In this article, we’ve covered how to turn on comments on YouTube. We’ve also talked about some of the exceptions to this rule. If you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment below. Thanks for reading and stay tuned – we will be covering more social media tips and tricks in the future!