How to Add Borders in Excel – Predefined Styles
The quickest way to add borders in Excel is to use one of the predefined styles. To do this, select the cells you want to apply them to. Then, follow these instructions on how to add borders in Excel:
- Click the Home tab and go to the Font group.
- Here, you will see a button called Borders. Click it to apply borders of the default style – or the last one you used.
- If you want to choose a different predefined style, click the arrow next to the Borders button. You will see a drop-down menu with all the available options. When you hover over each option, you will see a preview of what it will look like.
- The border will be applied to the selected cells and the cells adjacent to them (on the edges they share).
If you apply two different styles of borders to adjacent cells, the most recently applied style will take priority. Also, if you select a range of cells within multiple rows or columns, some borders might only be applied to the outer cells.
You can also remove borders by selecting the cells with borders and clicking the No Border option in the drop-down menu. More on that below!
How to Remove Borders From Cells
Now you know how to add borders in Excel, but how to remove them? If you’re not happy with how your spreadsheet looks, you can follow these instructions:
- To remove all borders from a cell or range of cells, select the cells and click No Border in the Borders drop-down menu.
- You can also start without the cells highlighted. Click on the arrow next to Borders and choose the option Erase Border. Now, select the cells with the borders you want to remove.
- If you only want to remove certain borders, click the arrow next to Borders in the Font group. Then, select the border you want to remove by clicking on it.
These three methods should help you get rid of any unwanted borders. What if you’ve tried multiple styles and didn’t like any of them? The next section is for you!
How to Create a Custom Border Style
Custom border styles are a great way to make your spreadsheet stand out. If you want to create your own, here’s how:
- Go to the Styles group on the Home tab.
- Click Cell Styles (or Styles -> More).
- Click New Cell Style and enter a name for your style in the box at the top.
- Now, click the Format button. A new window will open.
- Go to the Border tab at the top of the window and find the Style box under Line.
- Click the line style you want to use for your border. You can also pick a color for the border by opening the drop-down menu under the Style box.
- In the Border section, choose where around the cell you want to apply the border. When you’re finished, click OK.
- You should see a Style dialog box with a section called Style Includes (By Example). Here, you can uncheck boxes for any formatting you don’t want to include in your custom cell style.
You’ve now created a custom border style! How to add borders in Excel using this style? Select the cells you want to apply the style to and click the style name in the Styles group. If you don’t see your custom style, click More and select your style from the list.
There you have it – everything you need to know about how to add borders in Excel! We hope this was helpful and that you can use these tips to make your next spreadsheet look great.