How to Add a Song to iMovie on iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch
If you’re using an iOS device, there are two ways to add music to your iMovie project. You can do it directly from within the project, whether you have the music downloaded to the Music app or stored on your device. So, how to add a song to iMovie on mobile devices?
Solution 1: Adding Songs From Your Music Library
If you want your project to include a song that’s already stored in your Music app, here’s what you need to do:
- Open the project and tap the “Add Media” button.
- Go to “Audio,” then “My Music.”
- You’ll see several categories, including “Albums,” “Artists,” and “Songs.”
- Once you’ve located the song you want to add, tap it to preview it.
- If the song is dimmed, you’ll need to download it to your device from the Music app.
- Any available song will have an “Add Audio (+)” button next to it. Tap the button, and the song will appear at the beginning of your project.
- Edit the song like you would any other clip – you can move, shorten, or delete it.
Follow the same steps for other songs you want to include in your project. There’s no limit to how many you can add!
Solution 2: Adding Songs From Your Device’s Storage
How to add a song to iMovie if it isn’t in the Music app? If you have the raw file stored on your device, you can still add it to iMovie. Supported audio formats include M4A, MP3, MP4, WAV, and AIFF. Here’s how to add them to your project:
- Go to the “Add Media” button and tap “Files.”
- You’re now able to browse all your files in iCloud Drive and other locations on your device.
- Locate the desired audio file and tap it – you’ve now added it to your project.
Keep in mind that if the audio is shorter than one minute, it will be added to wherever the playhead is located in your project. This means you can choose when it will start on your timeline before adding the file.
Any longer files will behave like songs – the same way as if they were added from your Music app.
You can also add audio files to iMovie on Mac by dragging and dropping them into the project from the media browser. Keep reading to learn how!
How to Add a Song to iMovie on Mac
Adding audio files to iMovie on Mac is a bit different, but still straightforward. The app will have an in-built media browser which allows you to import songs from your music library. So, how to add a song to iMovie on Mac?
Solution 3: Using the Media Browser to Add Audio to Your Project
This method works for songs that you have downloaded or streamed to the music library on your Mac. Here are the steps:
- Open your project and click “Audio” at the top.
- In the “Libraries” list, go to “Music”.
- You can now browse music by artist, album, or song.
- Click the play button next to the desired song to preview it.
- If it’s all right, drag the song from the media browser under the video clip you want to attach it to. If you want it to play for the entire video and stay in place as you move video clips, then drag the song to the music well at the bottom of the timeline instead.
And that’s it! These are three ways to add a song to iMovie, whether you’re using an iOS device or a Mac. With these simple steps, you can create a great movie with your favorite songs as the soundtrack. So go ahead and give it a try!
Keep in mind that some songs may not be available to add – this applies to protected files that you don’t have permission to use according to copyright policies.
Have any other questions about how to add a song to iMovie? Let us know in the comments!